Wednesday 20 June 2012


Cecelia AHERN (2008), Thanks for the Memories, Harper Collins
By Gloria Martínez Campos, 1º Bachillerato B, EFL

Joyce Conway remembers things that she shouldn't. She knows perfectly well the cobbled streets in Paris, a city that she has never been to. Every night she dreams of a blond girl whose identity she ignores. Justin Hitchcock has divorced recently and he is alone and restless. He arrives in Dublin to give a seminar about art. He meets an attractive lady-doctor who convinces him to donate blood. The blood is the first thing which got away from Justin's heart a long time ago. When Joyce leaves the hospital, after a terrible accident, with her life and marriage in pieces, she moves to her father's house. An intense déjà vu sensation will be their link in this strange and amazing love story.

The part I've liked the best is when Justin says to Joyce:"I don't understand most things that happen every day. I do not understand what my daughter admires in her boyfriend. I do not understand why my brother is not in a vegetative state yet. I do not understand the weather, my divorce, my job... I do not understand a lot of simple things, so I don't know why this should be different". I like it because he is telling her that they must go on with that strange relationship even if it is different because it doesn't mean that it is going to be bad.

A book like this should be read at least once in your life because it shows you that magic can exist and that destiny guides us in our lives.

Maybe you know the writer because she also wrote the Best-seller PS: I love you, so if you liked it, she is not going to disappoint you with this one either.

No comments:

Post a Comment