Sunday 18 March 2012

Dewey GRAM (2009), Dante’s Peak, A2 Penguin Readers
By Daniel Gonzalez, 1º Bachillerato A, EFL

Harry, an expert in volcanoes, and his boss Paul Dreyfus, go to Dante´s Peak, a small village at the top of a volcano. Everybody thinks there isn´t going to be an eruption, but a few days later the volcano suddenly begins to throw ash and smoke. Harry and Rachel start to help people in the town and in a mine, where they are nearly killed by the volcano, but everybody in the village survives.
I think the best part of the story is when they are all fleeing from Dante´s Peak. You can see what the eviction is like when a volcano eruption happens. I never imagined how fast the lava goes. In a few minutes a volcano can destroy many places, and in this book you can imagine how. The characters have to think fast and to act precisely.
I don´t know exactly which age group I would recommend the book to, but I definitely want to recommend it to my family because every Christmas we go to the Canary Islands, where there are a lot of volcanoes, and I usually climb them. When you read this book you see volcanoes in a different way, not like boring mountains.

Dante’s Peak Movie Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbPYO7rxOag

No comments:

Post a Comment